Sunday, October 30, 2011
Theatre Music: The 39 Steps
I have not seen Patrick Barlow's play, The 39 Steps, but I have seen the Alfred Hitchcock movie, and apparently it is an adaption of the movie, rather than John Buchan's book.
I'm also familiar with Patrick Barlow's work - I love his Theatre of Brent offerings, which you can hear on BBC Radio 4 Extra every now and again.
In his Theatre of Brent stuff, two actors play multiple roles, and it is the same with The 39 Steps - where I believe 3 actors play multiple roles - only on stage rather than on the radio.
I know the play would be a lot of fun...but I sure as heck am not going to pay $100 for a ticket to Broadway to see it... even if I lived anywhere near Broadway. If Patrick Barlow were in the cast I would, admittedly, but otherwise....
Anyway, I love this soundtrack.
The music is not all from The 39 Steps, as you can see from the cover, it is "Music From & Inspired By West End."
So we've got:
1. The 39 Steps: The 39 Steps / Highland Hotel / Mr. Memory / Finale The City Of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra -- 4:04 minutes
2. The Lady Vanishes - Prelude The City Of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra -- 3:04 minutes
3. Dial M For Murder - Main Title / The Telephone / The Trap / Finale The City Of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra 7:12 minutes
4. Psycho: Narrative For String Orchestra (prelude / The City / Rainstorm / Murder / Finale) The City Of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra -- 7:24 minutes
5. The Man Who Knew Too Much: Prelude The City Of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra -- 2:15 minutes
6. Vertigo: Scene D'amour The City Of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra -- 5:08 minutes
7. Under Capricorn: Suite The City Of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra -- 7:04 minutes
8. Stage Fright - Rhapsody The City Of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra 4:58 minutes
9. Alfred Hitchcock Presents - Title Theme (funeral March Of The Marionettes) The City Of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra 4:17 minutes
10. The Private Lives Of Elizabeth And Essex: Love Theme The City Of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra 1:39 minutes
11. Coronation Scot Queen's Hall Light Orchestra 3:01 minutes. [This is the theme to the Paul Temple radio mysteries]
12. The Devil's Gallop Queen's Hall Light Orchestra 1:20 minutes
13. Embassy Stomp -- Ambrose And His Embassy Club Orchestra 2:39 minutes
14. Love Is The Sweetest Thing Al Bowlly With Ray Noble And The New Mayfair Dance Orchestra -- 3.29 minutes
Posted by Barbara Peterson at 9:56 PM